Thursday, January 19, 2012

Key lime coconut cookies


I might have a degree in nutrition but my cooking skills are less than diploma-worthy. I don't cook fancy dinners. It's rare that I try anything new. I prefer to spend my time doing other things like hanging out with Piper, painting my toenails, and doing yoga...occasionally I will even take a shower.
Tonight, however, something strange occurred. Not only did I try something new, I actually invented it...and it is so satisfyingly delicious, I can't stop eating it. No, it's not organic, raw, whole wheat, or antioxidant rich. It's doesn't contain quinoa, kale, parsnips, or black beans. It's a cookie. Not just any cookie. It's a key lime, coconut cookie. Holy...yum. And I took a shower today.
I know you're all dying to make them so here's the recipe:
No seriously, you should go make them right now.

Key Lime Coconut Cookies

Ingredients:
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 egg
zest of one lime
1 Tablespoon key lime juice
1/4 teaspoon coconut extract
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/8 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 cups flour
powdered sugar--start with about 1/4 cup and add more if needed

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease cookie sheet with non-stick spray.
Cream butter and sugar until fluffy.
Add vanilla, egg, zest of lime, lime juice, and coconut extract.
Stir in salt, baking powder, baking soda, and flour.
Make 1/2 Tablespoon size balls and roll them in the powdered sugar and place them on the greased cookie sheet.
Bake for 7-9 minutes. (Dark pan 6-8 minutes).
Cookies should look matte. Not gooey.
Let stand for about 1 minute before removing from pan to wire rack to cool.

Chow down! -Ashlee

6 comments:

Ashlee said...

The idea was sparked after making Lemon Crinkle Cookies, which I found on Pinterest. Lauren Brennan from Hood, River Oregon won the LDS living cookie contest with them. I made them and they were amazing but they needed more lemon. I decided to make them key lime coconut instead. No offense, but they are way better than the lemon version.

G and S said...

What a cookie monster you have become! Mmmmm

aconlin said...

Ash! You're funny :) And those look amazing! And you're a wonderful sister! :D I love you

Ty and Ber said...

Excited to try these! Glad you got to shower also!

Ashlee said...

I tried making these without the lime zest and they were not as good. Still good but they definitely need the zest.

aconlin said...

I just made these today; they were awesome! I used a bit more flour to make them less sticky to roll in the powdered sugar. They made many people happy :)
Thanks for the help Ash!